§ 106-65.95. Definitions.
The following definitions shall apply throughout this Article:
(1) "Bedding" means any mattress, upholstered spring, sleeping bag, pad, comforter, cushion, pillow, decorative pillow, and any other padded or stuffed item designed to be or commonly used for reclining or sleeping. This definition includes dual purpose furniture such as studio couches and sofa beds. The term "mattress" does not include water bed liners, bladders or cylinders unless they contain padding or stuffing. The term "mattress" also does not include quilts and comforters made principally by hand sewing or stitching in a home or community workshop.
(2) "Itinerant vendor" means a person who sells bedding from a movable conveyance.
(3) "Manufacture" means the making of bedding out of new materials.
(4) "New material" means any material or article that has not been used for any other purpose and by-products of industry that have not been in human use.
(5) "Previously used material" means any material of which previous use has been made, but manufacturing processes shall not be considered previous use.
(6) "Renovate" means the reworking or remaking of used bedding or the making of bedding from previously used materials, except for the renovator's own personal use or the use of the renovator's immediate family.
(7) "Sanitize" means treatment of secondhand bedding or previously used materials to be used in renovating for the destruction of pathogenic microorganisms and arthropods and the removal of dirt and filth.
(8) "Secondhand bedding" means any bedding of which prior use has been made.
(9) "Sell" or "sold" means sell, have to sell, give away in connection with a sale, delivery or consignment; or possess with intent to sell, deliver or consign in sale. (1937, c. 298, s. 1; 1957, c. 1357, s. 1; 1959, c. 619; 1965, c. 579, s. 1; 1983, c. 891, s. 2; 1987, c. 456, s. 1; 1991, c. 223, s. 1; 1993 (Reg. Sess., 1994), c. 647, s. 5; 2011-145, s. 13.3(v), (w).)