§ 115C-5. Definitions.
As used in this Chapter unless the context requires otherwise:
(1) The State Board of Education may be referred to as the "Board" or as the "State Board."
(2) The governing board of a city administrative unit is "the ______ city board of education."
(3) The governing board of a county administrative unit is "the ______ county board of education."
(3a) The governing body of a public school unit is the following:
a. For a local school administrative unit, the local board of education.
b. For a charter school, the nonprofit corporation board of directors.
c. For a regional school, the regional school board of directors.
d. (Effective until June 30, 2023) For a school operated under Article 7A and Article 9C of this Chapter, the State Board of Education.
d. (Effective June 30, 2023) For a school operated under Article 9C of this Chapter, the State Board of Education.
e. For a school operated under Article 29A of Chapter 116 of the General Statutes, the chancellor of the constituent institution.
(4) The term "school district" means any district defined by G.S. 115C-69.
(5) "Local board" or "board" means a city board of education, county board of education, or a city-county board of education.
(6) "Local school administrative unit" means a subdivision of the public school system which is governed by a local board of education. It may be a city school administrative unit, a county school administrative unit, or a city-county school administrative unit.
(7) The executive head of a school shall be called "principal."
(7a) Public school unit. - Any of the following:
a. A local school administrative unit.
b. A charter school.
c. A regional school.
d. A school providing elementary or secondary instruction operated by one of the following:
1. (Effective until June 30, 2023) The State Board of Education, including schools operated under Article 7A and Article 9C of this Chapter.
1. (Effective June 30, 2023) The State Board of Education, including schools operated under Article 9C of this Chapter.
2. The University of North Carolina under Article 29A of Chapter 116 of the General Statutes.
(8) The executive officer of a local school administrative unit shall be called "superintendent." "Superintendent" means the superintendent of schools of a public school system or, in his absence, the person designated to fulfill his functions.
(9) "Supervisor" means a person paid on the supervisor salary schedule who supervises the instructional program in one or more schools and is under the immediate supervision of the superintendent or his designee.
(10) The term "tax-levying authority" means the board of county commissioners of the county or counties in which an administrative unit is located or such other unit of local government as may be granted by local act authority to levy taxes on behalf of a local school administrative unit. (1955, c. 664; c. 1372, art. 1, ss. 8, 9; 1965, c. 584, s. 2; 1967, c. 223, s. 1; 1971, c. 883; c. 1188, s. 2; 1973, c. 315, s. 1; c. 782, ss. 1-30; 1975, c. 437, s. 10; 1979, c. 864, s. 2; 1981, c. 423, s. 1; 1985 (Reg. Sess., 1986), c. 975, s. 2; 1997-456, s. 27; 2019-51, s. 1; 2020-56, s. 6(a), (b); 2021-180, s. 7.14(g), (h).)