§ 115C-75.8. (Repealed effective June 30, 2023 - see note) Selection of IS operators.
(a) The State Board of Education may select an IS operator for a selected innovative school by December 15 and shall select an IS operator for a selected innovative school no later than January 15.
(b) Upon the recommendation of the ISD Superintendent, the State Board of Education shall only select an entity to contract as an IS operator if that entity demonstrates one of the following:
(1) The entity has a record of results in improving performance of low-performing schools or improving performance of a substantial number of low-performing students within a school or schools operated by the entity in this State or other states.
(2) The entity has a credible and specific plan for dramatically improving student achievement in a low-performing school and provides evidence that the entity, or a contractual affiliate of such an entity, is either currently operating a school or schools in this State that provide students a sound, basic education or demonstrating consistent and substantial growth toward providing students a sound, basic education in the prior three school years.
(b1) Repealed by Session Laws 2019-248, s. 1(a), effective November 11, 2019.
(c) The selected IS operator is encouraged to hold public informational sessions and other outreach to the community, selected innovative school, and local board of education of a selected innovative school.
(d) The contract between the State Board of Education and IS operator shall require, as a minimum, that the IS operator meet the same requirements as established for charter schools in the following statutes:
(1) G.S. 115C-218.20 (Civil liability and insurance requirements).
(2) G.S. 115C-218.25 (Open meetings and public records).
(3) G.S. 115C-218.30 (Accountability; reporting requirements to State Board of Education).
(4) G.S. 115C-218.50 (Charter school nonsectarian).
(5) G.S. 115C-218.55 (Nondiscrimination in charter schools).
(6) G.S. 115C-218.60 (Student discipline).
(7) G.S. 115C-218.65 (North Carolina School Report Cards).
(8) G.S. 115C-218.75 (General operating requirements).
(9) G.S. 115C-218.85 (Course of study requirements). (2016-110, s. 1; 2017-57, s. 7.26E(a), (f); 2018-5, s. 7.20(c); 2018-145, s. 27(b); 2019-248, s. 1(a); repealed by 2021-180, s. 7.14(f), effective June 30, 2023.)