§ 115C-83.7A. Reading camps.
(a) Reading camps shall meet the following requirements:
(1) Offer at least 72 hours of reading instruction to yield positive reading outcomes for participants.
(2) Be taught by compensated, licensed teachers selected based on demonstrated student outcomes in reading proficiency or in improvement of difficulties with reading development.
(3) Allow volunteer mentors to read with students at times other than during the 72 hours of reading instruction.
(4) (Effective July 1, 2022, and applicable beginning with the 2022-2023 school year) Be provided as outlined in the local school administrative unit's literacy intervention plan.
(b) Each local school administrative unit shall provide a signing bonus in an amount determined by the local board of education that is at least one thousand two hundred dollars ($1,200) to any teacher who meets all of the following criteria:
(1) Is associated with high growth in reading based on EVAAS data.
(2) Was awarded a reading performance bonus administered by the Department of Public Instruction.
(3) Accepts employment to provide instruction during a reading camp.
(c) Each local school administrative unit shall provide a reading camp performance bonus to a teacher who provided instruction at a third grade reading camp in a per-student amount determined by the local board of education that is at least one hundred fifty dollars ($150.00) for each student not demonstrating reading proficiency assigned to that teacher who demonstrates reading proficiency on an alternative assessment at the end of the reading camp.
(d) Notwithstanding G.S. 135-1(7a), any bonus awarded pursuant to subsections (b) and (c) of this section is not compensation under Article 1 of Chapter 135 of the General Statutes, the Teachers' and State Employees' Retirement System.
(e) A teacher who has earned a reading performance bonus and who provides instruction throughout a full reading camp shall be deemed to have completed two of the continuing education credits related to literacy required by G.S. 115C-270.30(b)(2). (2021-8, s. 7(b), (c).)