130A-106. Establishing fact of birth by persons without certificates.

(a) A person born in this State not having a recorded certificate of birth, may file a verified petition with the clerk of the superior court in the county of the petitioner's legal residence or place of birth, setting forth the date, place of birth and parentage, and petitioning the clerk to hear evidence, and to find and adjudge the date, place and parentage of the birth of the petitioner. Upon the filing of a petition, the clerk shall set a hearing date, and shall conduct the proceeding in the same manner as other special proceedings. At the time set for the hearing, the petitioner shall present evidence to establish the facts of birth. If the evidence offered satisfies the court, the court shall enter judgment establishing the date, place of birth and parentage of the petitioner, and record it in the record of special proceedings. The clerk shall certify the judgment to the State Registrar who shall keep a record of the judgment. A copy shall be certified to the register of deeds of the county in which the petitioner was born.

(b) Repealed by Session Laws 2007-323, s. 30.10(f), effective August 1, 2007, and applicable to all costs assessed or collected on or after that date.

(c) The record of birth established under this section, when recorded, shall have the same evidentiary value as other records covered by this Article. (1941, c. 122; 1957, c. 1357, s. 1; 1969, c. 1031, s. 1; 1973, c. 476, s. 128; 1983, c. 891, s. 2; 2007-323, s. 30.10(f).)