§ 75A-7. Exemption from numbering requirements.
(a) A vessel shall not be required to be numbered under this Chapter if it is:
(1) A vessel that is required to be awarded an identification number pursuant to federal law or a federally approved numbering system of another state, and for which an identification number has been so awarded: Provided, that any such vessel shall not have been within this State for a period in excess of 90 consecutive days.
(2) A vessel from a country other than the United States temporarily using the waters of this State.
(3) A vessel whose owner is the United States, a state or a subdivision thereof.
(4) A ship's lifeboat.
(5) Repealed by Session Laws 2013-360, s. 14.22(d), effective October 1, 2013.
(6) A sailboat of not more than 14 feet on the load water line (LWL).
(7) A vessel with no means of propulsion other than drifting or manual paddling, poling, or rowing.
(b) The Commission is hereby empowered to permit the voluntary numbering of vessels owned by the United States, a state or a subdivision thereof.
(c) Those vessels owned by the United States, a state or a subdivision thereof and those owned by nonprofit rescue squads may be assigned a certificate of number bearing no expiration date but which shall be stamped with the word "permanent" and shall not be renewable so long as the vessel remains the property of the governmental entity or nonprofit rescue squad. If the ownership of any such vessel is transferred from one governmental entity to another or to a nonprofit rescue squad or if a vessel owned by a nonprofit rescue squad is transferred to another nonprofit rescue squad or governmental entity, the Commission shall issue a new permanent certificate of number, displaying the same identification number, without charge to the successor entity. When any such vessel is sold to a private owner or is otherwise transferred to private ownership, the applicable certificate of number shall be deemed to have expired immediately prior to the transfer. Prior to further use on the waters of this State, the new owner shall obtain a certificate of number pursuant to the provisions of this Chapter. The provisions of this subsection applicable to a vessel owned by a nonprofit rescue squad apply only to a vessel operated exclusively for rescue purposes, including rescue training. (1959, c. 1064, s. 7; 1981, c. 162; 1983, c. 446, ss. 1-3; 2006-185, s. 1; 2013-360, s. 14.22(d).)