(a) If the Administrator believes, whether or not based upon an investigation conducted under G.S. 78D-21 that any person has engaged or is about to engage in any act or practice constituting a violation of any provision of this Chapter or any rule or order hereunder, the Administrator may:
(1) Issue a cease and desist order;
(2) Issue an order imposing a civil penalty in an amount which may not exceed twenty-five thousand dollars ($25,000) for any single violation or five hundred thousand dollars ($500,000) for multiple violations in a single proceeding or a series of related proceedings;
(3) Issue an order requiring reimbursement of the costs of investigation; or
(4) Initiate any of the actions specified in subsection (b) of this section.
The clear proceeds of civil penalties imposed pursuant to this subsection shall be remitted to the Civil Penalty and Forfeiture Fund in accordance with G.S. 115C-457.2. Any reimbursement of costs imposed by this subsection shall be paid to the General Fund.
(b) The Administrator may institute any of the following actions in the appropriate courts of this State, or in the appropriate courts of another state, in addition to any legal or equitable remedies otherwise available:
(1) A declaratory judgment;
(2) An action for a prohibitory or mandatory injunction to enjoin the violation and to ensure compliance with this Chapter or any rule or order of the Administrator;
(3) An action for disgorgement; or
(4) An action for appointment of a receiver or conservator for the defendant or the defendant's assets. (1989, c. 634, s. 1; 1998-215, s. 123.)