Occupational Licensing Boards.
§ 93B-1. Definitions.
As used in this Chapter, the following definitions apply:
(1) License. - Any license (other than a privilege license), certificate, or other evidence of qualification which an individual is required to obtain before he may engage in or represent himself to be a member of a particular profession or occupation.
(2) Occupational licensing board. - Any board, committee, commission, or other agency in North Carolina which is established for the primary purpose of regulating the entry of persons into, and the conduct of persons within, a particular profession or occupation, and which is authorized to issue licenses. The phrase "occupational licensing board" does not include State agencies, staffed by full-time State employees, which as a part of their regular functions may issue licenses.
(3) State agency licensing board. - Any State agency staffed by full-time State employees, which as part of their regular functions issue licenses. This section does not apply to the North Carolina Criminal Justice Education and Training Standards Commission, the North Carolina Sheriffs' Education and Training Standards Commission, and the North Carolina Department of Revenue. The following is a nonexclusive list of State agency licensing boards and the profession or occupation for which the board, agency, or officer may issue licenses:
a. The Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services.
1. Commissioner of Agriculture.
I. Scale Technician. Article 6 of Chapter 81A of the General Statutes.
II. Seed Dealer. Article 31 of Chapter 106 of the General Statutes.
III. Livestock Dealer. Article 35B of Chapter 106 of the General Statutes.
2. North Carolina Pesticide Board.
I. Pesticide Applicators and Pesticide Dealers. Parts 3 and 4 of Article 52 of Chapter 143 of the General Statutes.
3. North Carolina Board of Agriculture.
I. Boarding Kennel Operator and Pet Shop Owner. Article 3 of Chapter 19A of the General Statutes.
II. Poultry, Hatcheries, and Chick Dealers. Article 40 of Chapter 106 of the General Statutes.
4. Structural Pest Control Committee.
I. Exterminator and Structural Pest Control Applicator. Article 4C of Chapter 106 of the General Statutes.
b. Repealed by Session Laws 2021-180, s. 9G.7(c), effective July 1, 2021.
c. The Department of Health and Human Services.
1. North Carolina Medical Care Commission.
I. Ambulance Attendant, Emergency Medical Technician. Article 7 of Chapter 131E of the General Statutes.
2. Well Contractors Certification Commission.
I. Well Contractor. Article 7A of Chapter 87 of the General Statutes.
d. The Department of Insurance.
1. Commissioner of Insurance.
I. Bail Bond Runner, Professional Bondsman, Surety Bondsman. Article 71 of Chapter 58 of the General Statutes.
II. Insurance Agent, Insurance Company Adjuster, Motor Vehicle Damage Appraiser, Self-Employed Insurance Adjuster. Article 33 of Chapter 58 of the General Statutes.
2. Code Officials Qualifications Board.
I. Building Inspector, Code Enforcement Official, Electrical Inspector, Fire Inspector, Mechanical Inspector, Plumbing Inspector. Article 9C of Chapter 58 of the General Statutes.
3. Home Inspection Licensure Board.
I. Home Inspector. Article 9F of Chapter 143 of the General Statutes.
4. Manufactured Housing Board.
I. Manufactured Housing Salesperson. Article 9A of Chapter 143 of the General Statutes.
e. Repealed by Session Laws 2021-138, s. 17(a), effective December 1, 2021.
f. The Department of Labor.
1. Boiler Safety Bureau.
I. Boiler Inspector. Article 7A of Chapter 95 of the General Statutes.
g. The Department of Public Instruction.
1. State Board of Education.
I. Teacher, Principal, Superintendent. Article 71E of Chapter 115C of the General Statutes.
h. The Department of Public Safety.
1. Alcohol Law Enforcement Branch.
I. Boxer, Kickboxer, Mixed Martial Arts, Promoter. Article 8 of Chapter 143 of the General Statutes.
2. The Alcohol Beverage Control Board.
I. Alcoholic Beverage Distributor. Article 9 of Chapter 18B.
3. Private Protective Services Board.
I. Counter Intelligence Licensee, Guard Dog Service Operator, Polygraph Examiner, Private Investigator, Psychological Stress Evaluator, Security Guard, and Patrol Licensee. Article 1 of Chapter 74C of the General Statutes.
i. The Department of the Secretary of State.
1. The Secretary of State.
I. Athletic Agent. Article 9 of Chapter 78C of the General Statutes.
II. Investment Advisor. Article 3 of Chapter 78C of the General Statutes.
III. Securities Broker, Securities Dealer, Security Salesman. Article 5 of Chapter 78A of the General Statutes.
IV. Professional Solicitor. Article 3 of Chapter 131F of the General Statutes.
j. The Department of Transportation.
1. Division of Motor Vehicles.
I. New and Used Motor Vehicle Dealer, Motor Vehicle Sales Representative, Distributor, Distributor Branch, Distributor Representative, Wholesaler. Article 12 of Chapter 20 of the General Statutes.
II. Commercial Driver, Truck Driver. Article 2 of Chapter 20 of the General Statutes.
III. Safety Inspection Mechanic. Article 3A of Chapter 20 of the General Statutes. (1957, c. 1377, s. 1; 2019-91, s. 2; 2020-58, s. 6.5; 2021-138, s. 17(a); 2021-180, s. 9G.7(c).)